Thursday, October 17, 2013

Chatty Chatterers Chatting- CONSTANTLY!



    Today I'm writing about the chattiness of my classroom.  Now, generally I'm not the kind of teacher that worries too much about a social classroom; however, there are times, that the kids need to learn to stop talking.   I've been teaching for over 20 years, and I can't recall ever having a class this chatty.  It seems that the second I stop talking- they think it's a ticket to start up a playful conversation with a buddy.  And it's not the quiet, calm, whispering, level 1 kind of conversations.  It's the loud, giddy, socializing, level 4 kind of voices.   Maybe it's because I've been out of "the" classroom for three years, or maybe it's because I've been placed in a school that expects calm and quiet so I'm hyper focusing on it, or maybe, and I hate to even validate this in typing but- I'm causing it?  So, whatever the reason-what to do about it?

Here are all the teachery techniques that I've tried:
  • lecture 
  • video tape, watch, and discuss
  • guilt
  • reward
  • ignore

     None of the above have given me any success- none for the duration anyway. I think of advice my dad gave me when my own kids were "acting up".  He'd say, "Keep talking, they're listening."  He was right,  and my kids turned out pretty doggone good. I hang on to that advice and keep lecturing to this class.  But lecturing just isn't working.  Period.  The amount of time that they reflect on that lecture- maybe 30 seconds. It's like they're all excited to make that leap in quiet heaven- then PUFF... the social fairy zaps them right back into party mode.

     Video taping has been the most successful.  One day I set up the iPad and video taped them entering the classroom and preparing themselves for the school day.  We watched it.  The kids commented on how loud they were, we discussed it, they agreed to better.  We practiced every day that week and they performed beautifully.  And they continue to do so- whenever I'm video taping them, that is.  They have learned to act the part for the camera.  It is seriously, not working. But in their defense, we watched the video without sound and everyone but 2 kids were on task.  So if they had been quiet, this would have looked like the perfect class.

     Then, I shame them into behaving.  I say, "Boys and girls, we are just too loud.  We are loud in the halls, we are loud at lunch, we are loud at specials- and people are concerned about the lack of respect we are showing. We are earning ourselves really poor reputation. We need to fix this."  They agree and vow show more respectful  behavior.  It lasted less than a day.  

     Next I try rewarding them, I say, "5th graders, we are going to keep track of when we use our voices appropriately and when we are struggling.  Your group can earn points for using appropriate voice control."  They eat it up.  They are quiet- but only when I'm standing at the whiteboard with my dry erase marker.  Seriously, if I need them to be quiet- I pick up a dry erase marker and walk to the behavior chart.  They are quiet.  But this doesn't work in the halls, or in specials, or at lunch.  I try to remember to record their points when I get back to the classroom but- I forget.  So much for that trick.
 
     Eventually, I ignore it.  I tell myself that it really isn't that bad, it's their generation, just let it go. They're quiet when I teach, when they're reading, and when they're on their on their netbooks working on their projects.  So they really are quiet a majority of the time- right?  But I can't ignore it. As soon as they finish up their projects, voice by voice the noise begins to overpower one another's and they get louder and louder and LOUDER. 

     What to do now.  Now I'm researching.  And surprisingly, this problem seems to exist out there, in a lot of places besides my little world.  I read a blog post by Mike Anderson on Responsive Classroom.  His suggestions seem simple enough and I'm going to give them a try next week.  Here's my "go get em" checklist:
  • Leverage the chattiness: use partner talks and let them "chat" about the assignment before working independently.  Note to self:  do this more consistently.
  • Change room design: break up the work area so that clusters of desks are spread out.  Note to self:  get rid of a couple of tables to make room for the space between desks.
  • Shorten lessons: keep direct instruction to 10 minutes or less. Note to self:  set the timer.
  • Add movement:  teach the lessons at carpet and move to desks to work. Note to self:  make carpet area bigger so they aren't on top of each other.
  • Make learning activities more enjoyable: If I were a student in this class, would you be having fun with assignments?  Give kids some control over how they learn it. Note to self:  Don't just do the curriculum, connect with it.
  • Use a clear consistent way of responding to misbehavior: get kids back on track with logical consequences.  Note to self:  Keep talking, keep redirecting, keep on keeping on.
OK. That's it for today.   I'll let you know how it goes.    

No comments:

Post a Comment