Saturday, September 6, 2014

Back in the TH5 Saddle!

     So, let's just say that I've been busy this summer in anticipation of this new school year.  I've read 3 professional books, 23 young adult novels, and 5 new picture books.   I've participated in #edcamphome, #ndedcamp, and #5thchat.  From those twitter chats, I've learned about Genious Hour, Passion Time, 20% Time, Maker Space, Google Classroom and so much more.  I purchased a makey makey and sphere.  I've chatted with author's Elliot Scheffer (Endangered and Threatened) and Donalyn Miller (Book Whisperer and Reading in the Wild).  I am BEYOND ready for another awesome year!

     I purposely didn't go into school a week before school started.  I didn't want to get caught up in decorating a cute room.  We all know how that scenario- we think we're done then we step back and realize that there's one more thing we can print and put up- and so it goes and goes and goes. This year,  I'm keeping my room clutter free and simply awesome.  Here are a few pictures. I spent only 5 hours over a span of two days.  I'm really pleased with it!





This year, I'm using Evernote to record reading conferences. I like that I can type, take screenshots, and record the conversation.  Such a step up from anecdotal notes and sticky notes. 


And I'm using Google Classroom to organize assignments.  


Here we are on our first day!  We jumped right in to blogging.  5th graders started out by commenting on my posts and by Thursday they were creating avatars, designing their pages, and posting.  Amazing thinkers!

We signed our classroom chair-pledging to be more awesome this year.


We decorated and laminated bookmarks.


Our highlight of the week was the marshmallow challenge.  Learn more at marshmallowchallenge.com.


And here's a glimpse into our classroom this week! 

No comments:

Post a Comment